Sunday, September 12, 2010

Is FSANZ failing at communicating GM to the public?

While searching through the FSANZ website, I found this booklet. It looks like it has been produced to inform the public about GM technology with regard to food.

Looking through it, it seems to explain everything pretty well, from how it all works to potential risks to what they are doing about those potential risks.

This is the first I've seen of this booklet, and I only found it by searching through their website - it is only present on one page, in a little box saying 'related links'. I wonder, if it was intended for the public, then why have I only come across it now, and why was it in such a hard place to find? (considering I've spent all semester looking up GM info) Shouldn't something like this be posted everywhere it possibly can, to ensure as much of the public sees it as possible?

I think this is a case of bad communication - the fact that such a helpful and easy to read document isn't readily available to those who might want to find it. I didn't even know FSANZ existed until I came across them by accident. I think they should be doing more to communicate GM to the public, so the the public gets scientific information about this topic directly from the people who make the decisions on it, rather than getting a watered down, altered view from the media. They are essentially the front line for GM into Australia and New Zealand markets.

Here is a link to the booklet:
http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/_srcfiles/GM%20Foods_text_pp_final.pdf

Please read it, it might explain things better for you than I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment